Monday, August 20, 2007

The Long and Winding Road


Well, I have gotten my bike, although I was too busy to blog about it before now. I picked it up at UDM with the help of Jerry. It was an up and down experience in many ways. I got the bike started, and the seller, John Staudemeyer, SJ, came out from his meeting to say goodbye to the bike. As Jerry and I were discussing the best route home, I tried to start up the bike again, but the battery was dead. We tried various things for a long time, before eventually being able to reach John, who provided a jump with his car.

A few blocks away from UDM, I stalled when starting from a red light. Again the battery was down and out. Jerry knew some folks near by and was able to get some jumper cables, while I waited around in inner city Detroit at dusk. A biker stopped by to see if I was OK. He listened to my story, recommended I get a new battery, and I sent him on his way with a thank you. He said if we bikers don't take care of each other, who will. We were finally able to get going again. I rode it out 8 Mile Rd until we got to Farmington and then headed into Plymouth and finally back to Ypsi.

I drove out to Jerry's on Sunday Aug 12th to drop off an auto emergency kit as a thank you. It was a fun ride and I was getting the feel for the bike. As I got back into Ypsi, a strange sequence of events happened that could oly happen to me. I stopped at a Stop sign. As I put my foot down, I unknowingly stepped in a patch of oil and my foot started to slip. This caused the bike to become a little unbalanced, and it started to fall. I hopped off to prevent it from falling, but my left foot had no traction due to the oil. Blam. The bike goes down. After some EMU kids helped me check out the bike, I thought I was ready to go. One problem. The bike had fallen onto the handlebars, specifically the clutch. It had broken in half. There was no one to control gears.

I walked the bike back home. It was crazy trying to get it up my driveway. I was able to get some help from my next door neighbor. But I haven't had time to get the bike to a shop to repair the clutch and mirror, which broke when I was trying to get it up the driveway. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

But it was a lot of fun to begin, and I will get back on the road soon enough.

No comments: