Friday, June 15, 2007

Collegium



I just returned from the 2007 Collegium. Collegium sponsors annual summer colloquies for faculty from its member institutions and for advanced graduate students from universities throughout the United States and Canada. The colloquies provide a collegial environment in which participants from diverse backgrounds, faiths, and disciplines can discuss the sources and implications of a Christian academic vocation. There was small and large group discussions, presentations, a retreat day, as well as many opportunities for socializing with faculty, graduate students and administrators from across the country.

It was a very interesting time, and I was happy to meet and interact with such a diverse group of colleagues. Being together in a relatively smallish group for a week provides the opportunity to forge bonds of various kinds. I still have a lot of thinking to do based upon these discussions. I'll make some posts over the coming days, as I took a lot of pictures while I was there. Above you can see the main building in which we held the majority of our small and large group discussions, as well as a view of the river from the University of Portland campus. The campus is quite lovely and had a truly collegiate feel to it. There will be more to come.

Getting away on some form of retreat, be it religious or otherwise, is a great experience that more people should avail themselves of. I was able to slow down a bit from the go-go pace I had been working at before.

No comments: