Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Making Plans



I head off to Pasadena on Thursday to attend and present a paper at a psychoanalytic conference, sponsored by the International Federation for Psychoanalytic Education or IFPE. Although it's great to get away, and I'm happy to go to a place I haven't been before, getting ready is a pain in the neck. This week is advising week for students, and I'll be trying to see some before I go, working that into doing next week's lecture preps and making a test for next week. Yowza.

Today the Professor's union at the university met with the president and other administrators about finances. In December 2004, they asked us to give back some money that was supposed to go to our retirement fund. The university was attempting to secure loans to undertake a great deal of capital improvement. In order to demonstrate financial solvency, the university figured a variety of cost cutting schemes, including forced faculty generosity. We were told that this would enable the university to eventually improve the campus to a substantial degree. But the plans unveiled at the Convocation were underwhelming. Hence, we ask "what gives?" Today's answers were likewise underwhelming. Unfortunately, our union is as anemic as can be. I'm not really the union type myself, but I have to live with it at this university. I'm not sure where that's heading. But I'll be heading to Pasadena for a few days. I'll try to blog from there (will bring camera).

No comments: