Saturday, August 05, 2006

Wipe Out

Well, a bad thing happened to me, and I was stupid. Two for two. This week, when the IT guy came over to install some software, my computer took a hike. He couldn't access the hardrive. After two days, IT was able to recover some of my files, but the names of the files were gone, replaced by 01, 02, 03... So I have to open up everyone to see what it is, rename it and put it in the right place. I may have lost the data files I had been working on. The stupid part was not having this stuff backed up.

So, I bought a jump drive, but now quickly realize that these things don't hold nearly enough for me to back up files without getting lots of them, for $40 a pop. I figure I need to get a backup hard drive, so I don't have to go through this again. But it will be at my expense. It's amazing how much we rely on these suckers. But it also gives me another chance to take a swipe at Windows. My personal computers are Apples. It's long past time for Bill Gates to devote himself to charity. I hope he can actually make that work better than Windows.

No comments: